How to make Vanilla Extract
Once you try a homemade extract you will not want to go back to the store bought ones.
- 5 Grade A of vanilla beans
- Vodka or bourbon
- 8oz bottle or jar with a tight seal
- Using a sharp knife, slit the vanilla beans down the middle so the beans are exposed. If the length of the vanilla beans don't fit into your bottle or jar, cut the beans in smaller pieces. Place beans into bottle or jar.
- Fill the 8 oz bottle with vodka or bourbon. Make sure the beans are fully submerged. Shake a few times.
- Store vanilla at room temperature out of direct sunlight. Shake the bottle or container every 1-2 weeks. The vanilla extract will be ready for use in 8 weeks.