Vanilla BBQ Rub for Ribs
Looking for a recipe for a dad on Father's Day? Vanilla will be your secret ingredient for these fall of the bone BBQ Ribs! If you've never used vanilla in a savoury dish check this recipe out!
- Dry Rub
- 1tablespoon cumin
- 1tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla powder
- 2 racks of Baby Back Ribs (membrane removed)
- Your favourite barbecue sauce
- Mix the dry rub spices together in a bowl.
- Remove the membrane of the baby back ribs. You can ask your butcher to remove it or check out this video for easy instructions.
- Place each rack on a sheet of aluminum foil, long enough to fully cover the ribs. Sprinkle the two racks with half the dry rub and spread with your hands. Turn the racks and repeat.
- Once the ribs have been rubbed, carefully wrap the aluminum foil closed.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 275F. Remove ribs from refrigerator, place on baking sheet (curved side down) and bake for 2 ½ hours.
- Preheat grill to 350F. After the ribs have baked low and slow in the oven for 2 ½ hours, remove from the oven. Carefully open the foil. Using a meat thermometer, take the temperature in between the bones. Pork is technically done at 145F, but you want the temperature at 190F-200F for tender juicy ribs.
- Using your favorite BBQ sauce, brush the top of the ribs with the sauce. Since the ribs will be so tender, they may fall apart transferring to the grill. Use two sets of tongs (one on each side) to help them stay together when flipping. Place the ribs sauced side down, onto the grill. While that side chars, brush BBQ sauce on the side facing up. Grill for about 5 minutes per side, until ribs get charred grill marks. Remove from grill.
- To slice, place the ribs curved side up, so you can see the bones. Slice in between bones and serve with additional BBQ sauce.