Mango Shortcake Cake
Any mango lovers out there? My 6-year old son who loves mangoes asked for a mango cake so I adapted my strawberry shortcake recipe by swapping the strawberries with mangoes and it turned out amazing! The tropical flavour of the mangoes makes this cake the perfect summer treat. This cake is made with two layers of incredibly moist vanilla cake, mangoes and mascarpone whipped cream.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter softened and cut in 8 pieces
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or 1.5 tsp of vanilla powder
- 1 3/4 cup of all purpose flower
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 5 cups of chopped frozen mangoes (thawed)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese, softened but still cool
- Preheat oven to 350F. Put the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Butter 2 x 8" cake pans. Line the base with baking paper.
- Place wet ingredients (eggs, milk, vanilla extract if using extract) in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place Dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, baking powder, sugar, salt, vanilla powder if using powder) in a bowl and beat on low speed using a hand or stand mixer.
- Add 1/3 of the butter and mix on low speed. Once the butter is incorporated a bit, increase to medium speed and whisk for 10 seconds.
- Add another 1/3 of the butter then repeat, then add remaining butter and repeat again. It should look like wet sand.
- Add half the wet mixture, beat on medium speed until incorporated. Add remaining wet mixture, then beat until almost completely smooth.
- Divide between cake pans, smooth surface (it levels out in the oven), then bake for 25 minutes.
- A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean but moist.
- Cool on cooling rack for at least 15 minutes then remove cake from pan.
- Blend 1 cup of thawed frozen mangoes with sugar
- Mixed remaining thawed mangoes with mango puree
- Place the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the mixture on medium speed until smooth. While the mixer is still whipping, slowly pour the heavy cream down the side of the bowl. Stop and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl periodically. Increase the speed and continue whipping until the cream can hold a stiff peak.
Place one layer of cake on a platter. Top with one-half of the frosting, then top with about half of mangoes. Place second layer of cake on top and top with remaining mangoes.